Downtown Emergency Service Center
Shift: Office Day
Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
Insurance Benefits: Dental, Life, Long-term Disability, Medical (no premiums/payroll deductions for employee coverage)
Other Benefits: Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), ORCA card subsidy, Paid Time Off (34 days per year), Retirement Plan
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter describing their interest and motivation in working in this role for DESC.? Please also describe your understanding of the interactive dynamics between behavioral health disabilities, behavioral healthcare services, homelessness, and homelessness interventions and services.
DESC (Downtown Emergency Service Center) is a nonprofit organization working to help people with the complex needs of homelessness, substance use disorders, and serious mental illness achieve their highest potential for health and well-being through comprehensive services, treatment, and housing. Our vision is a community where no person is abandoned, ignored, or experiencing homelessness.
As the region’s leading provider of services to multiply disabled adults who have experienced chronic homelessness, DESC serves almost 2,000 people each day. Our integrated service model is designed to help people secure and maintain appropriate, safe and affordable housing. DESC is recognized nationally and regionally as an innovator in developing solutions to homelessness.
About DESC’s Clinical Programs:
The DESC Clinical Programs comprise an important part of the behavioral health treatment system in King County, particularly for people who are experiencing homelessness or are otherwise in crisis.? DESC enrolls and provides outpatient mental health and substance use disorder treatment as part of the King County Integrated Care Network.? These services are principally Medicaid-funded.? In addition to targeting these services to people living with serious and persistent mental illness, those served in DESC outpatient care are more likely to be experiencing homelessness, have experience with the criminal legal system, and have more severe psychiatric conditions on average than others served in the broader system.? This adds to the complexity and difficulty of the work.? DESC’s Clinical Programs also include numerous specialty behavioral health services including street outreach and engagement, PACT, Supported Employment, crisis respite, intensive services to assist homeless people obtain housing and treatment, intensive services for Trueblood class members, and low-barrier medications for opioid use disorder.? An additional major component of the Clinical Programs is behavioral health crisis response, comprising multiple mobile crisis response programs operating 24/7 across King County as well as the Crisis Solutions Center, providing short term voluntary psychiatric care for people diverted from jail and hospital stays.
The main focus of the DESC Clinical Programs is to meet the needs of people experiencing homelessness or who used to be in that condition.? This involves collaboration with numerous community systems and providers, as well as internal partners in DESC’s survival services and permanent supportive housing programs.?The total FTE employee count across all Clinical Programs is 383.
Oversees the unique array of behavioral health treatment services delivered at DESC, including mental health, substance use disorder, and specialty behavioral health services.?Assures compliance with multiple funding source requirements and guidelines.?Maintains a full complement of clinical staff with capability to provide the array of services needed by the population served.?As a member of the senior management team, the Senior Clinical Director participates in the planning, coordination and management of agency activities.?The Senior Clinical Director also plans for and develops new services and treatment central to DESC’s mission.
The position handles a wide diversity of highly complex work situations. Significant planning takes place within an unpredictable external environment where changing priorities are frequent. This role operates under the direction of the Executive Director but has a substantial level of autonomy in executing various tasks. The responsibilities include proposing budgetary recommendations, planning for the long-term expansion or reduction of programs, and ensuring that the clinical staff provides high quality services.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• In coordination with the Executive Director and other senior directors, assume responsibility for the planning, implementation, operation, and evaluation of the DESC Clinical programs.
• Assume responsibility for financial oversight of DESC behavioral health programs, including participation in budgeting process, revenue and expense monitoring, acquisition and maintenance of contract funding, and the systems for collecting payments and other revenue.
• Assume responsibility for interpreting and implementing applicable laws, regulations, and contractual requirements.
• Oversee the recruitment, selection, orientation, deployment, supervision, professional development, and evaluation of all Clinical Programs staff.
• Directly supervise other high-level Director and manager positions who oversee particular components of the DESC Clinical Programs.
• In coordination with other relevant staff, develop and maintain procedures to ensure effective contracts management and compliance with program funders’ requirements.
• Monitor funding sources for opportunities to develop and implement new programs and maintain or expand funding for existing programs.
• In coordination with other relevant staff, oversee development of operating procedures and duties for clinical staff, and the development and enforcement of program rules and practices for client and staff safety.
• Work in close coordination with Housing Programs Director and other leadership to assure highest possible degree of service integration within agency.
• Assume responsibility for the maintenance of standards of clinical services quality as defined in Washington Administrative Code (WAC) and other applicable guidelines and contracts.
• In coordination with other relevant staff, develop and oversee the system for data collection and report to funders and regulatory bodies.
• Ensure timely investigation and follow-up of extraordinary incidents.
• Participate in planning and coordination activities of management team; provide information to that team about issues in areas of responsibility.
• Represent the agency and program on community committees, work groups and task forces.
• Participate in writing proposals for on-going and new funding.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external parties, including partner agencies, funders and relevant other entities.
• Maintain sensitivity to needs/goals/objectives of communities in which programs are located, balanced with the needs and interests of DESC clients.
• Participate in a range of advocacy activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in social work, psychology, or other behavioral science from an accredited college or university.
• Meet minimum criteria for mental health professional as defined in RCW 71.05 and WAC 275-57.
• Five (5) years of experience providing services to populations closely matching characteristics of DESC’s service population: adults experiencing chronic homelessness and living with serious psychiatric conditions, substance use disorder, and chronic health conditions.
• A minimum of five (5) years of higher-level management experience managing managers and or Directors in a social service setting.
• Demonstrated experience in contract, financial, and personnel management.
• Excellent communication skills with people across a wide variety of backgrounds and disciplines.
• Subscription to the value of cooperation and continuity across programs and of consideration and respect for clients.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the concepts of co-occurring disorders.
• Strong administrative and communication skills and demonstrated success in program management and development.
• Proven ability to create and manage change, growth, and continuous improvement.
• Create and cultivate positive organizational culture.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.?
• Effective interpersonal skills.?
• Ability to analyze complex policies and procedures and apply them to services delivered in program.?
• Ability to prioritize and to shift focus rapidly to address the spectrum of issues which occur in a typical day.?
• Ability to balance service values with financial limitations.?
• Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff from variety of backgrounds, supervise others, exercise independent judgment and promote teamwork.?
• Ability to facilitate meetings and the growth of program staff.?
• Ability to use personal computer and learn new software as needed.
• Strong understanding of budgeting processes and management of budgets.
• Public speaking.
• Ability to develop and analyze contracts. Understanding of clinical best practices relevant to DESC client population.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/R8BdDeSWBZJ2ZCwLKSbXO7
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.